The Proteus®

Until now, the fitness and physical rehabilitation industry has been limited to motion offered by free weights and machines with adjustable cable pulleys. But (as explained on “to measure strength and power for movements you perform in real life, you need forces in three dimensions.” Offering a more complete and rigorous approach to training, the 3D resistance provided by the Proteus can counter any movement you make. So, the output stays consistent throughout the full workout.

Literally doubling the efficacy of your training, the Proteus offers several unparalleled capabilities:

  • 3D Resistance ™ The Proteus is the first machine that offers 3D resistance, which means you can get consistent resistance in all three planes of motion.
  • The ability to test and train 100% of human movements. Before the Proteus, human movement could only be measured in a straight line. But less than 5% of movement actually occurs this way. This new technology offers results for the other 95%.
  • Track real time performance data. Because three-dimensional resistance is being tested, more factors including power, acceleration, deceleration, consistency, velocity and range of motion can all be measured.
Revolutionize your training with Proteus 3D resistance, and see impressive improvements in your straight arm trunk rotations.

AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill®

Revolutionizing fitness through patented NASA technology, the AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill® can reduce the strain on the body by providing up to 80% weight support allowing you to run or walk with reduced impact. Chosen by sports medicine experts, physical therapists and competitive athletes as the best low-impact running or walking training tool, the Anti-Gravity Treadmill is truly a game-changer in rehabilitation programs, physical conditioning, weight management and general health maintenance. 

Controlling gravity and reducing your body weight while walking or running offers many advantages:

  • Burn more calories by going faster and farther than you normally can
  • Feel the joy of running without the impact on your joints and muscles
  • Run without pain or discomfort
  • Train through injuries

Biodex Isokinetic Dynamometer

Patients who do not meet discharge criteria before returning to their regular routines have four times the risk of sustaining additional injuries. The Biodex Isokinetic Dynamometer helps take the guesswork out of this assessment through isokinetic testing that measures the patient’s physical output by comparing the strength of the impaired versus the non-impaired muscle.

Offering multiple interactive, progressive modes of operation for the shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles and more, the Dynamometer restores the range of motion necessary for normal function and allows structures around the injured area to work as a pump to move blood and lymph in out of the joints while also eliminating any waste products.

A fully customizable tool that can be adapted for every patient, the Biodex Isokinetic Dynamometer offers a comprehensive menu of applications:

  • Neurorehabilitation
  • Occupational Medicine/Workplace Health
  • Pediatric Medicine
  • Senior Medicine
  • Sports and Orthopedic Medicine
  • Strength Training
  • Surgical Rehabilitation

Home Exercise Program

As a new Southshore patient, you will be given a home exercise program customized to your individual needs to complement your exercises at the clinic. We know the first day of physical therapy can be overwhelming, so we send you an email with a link to access your personal program online using any internet-enabled device. Simply click the link, create an account and log in using your own unique passcode.

Once in the system, you will find your individualized program featuring not only detailed instructions but also video tutorials demonstrating the proper form for each exercise. If you experience any pain, discomfort, or have any questions about your exercises, you can communicate directly with your physical therapist in the blank field below. Any materials needed for these home exercises will be provided to you during your regular therapy sessions.

When your time with the clinic is complete, you will still have access to this valuable resource where you can check in with your therapist as needed.